A few months ago I picked up Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker from the bookstore, and I’ve been having a great time tossing a bunch of stuff into my crock pot in the morning (or night before) and having an amazing hot dinner waiting for me when I get home at the end of the day. I can’t even tell you how awesome it is to not have to make dinner after a long day, and coming home to the smell of a homecooked meal is one of the most gratifying feelings I can think of.
But, I digress. Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker has many awesome recipes, and my favorite thus far is the Arroz non Pollo dish, which is basically a vegetarian rice dish. It’s warm and hearty – great comfort food. Serve it up in a bowl with some organic corn chips and you’ve got a little piece of heaven.
Savory Slow Cooker Vegetarian Rice Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 pound small button mushrooms quartered
- 1 small carrot chopped
- 1 small zucchini chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads or turmeric
- One 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with their juices (I just used four large, fresh tomatoes)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces green beans ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup brown rice or white rice cooked
- 3/4 cup salsa of your choice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1/3 cup sliced pimento stuffed olives drained
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, until gently browned, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and cook for another 4 minutes, or until they begin to brown.
- Add carrots, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, oregano, cumin, and saffron or turmeric and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture to a lightly oiled 4 to 6 quart slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, vegetable stock, bell pepper, green beans, and chickpeas; season with salt and pepper, cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 10 minutes before serving, stir in the salsa, peas, olives, and cooked rice and cover.
Nutritional analysis is based on using white rice.
This content was originally posted on FearlessFresh.com.