– This sweet-tart black bean salad is perfect for summer –
Protein-rich salads are the perfect meal for summer. When the weather’s warm and the sun shines for 16 hours a day, sometimes you just want a light meal. But summer is also a time of activity, which means your body needs a healthy dose of protein to keep you going. When you’re looking for a power pack of energy-rich foods, but don’t want a heavy meal and CERTAINLY don’t want to flip on the stoce, what’s a girl (or boy) to do?
This salad is light and rich, all at the same time. It’s got the protein you need without the heaviness, and you don’t need a bit of heat to prepare it. Can you think of a better summer meal?
- Serves: 2
- Calories: 470
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Unsaturated fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 71g
- Sodium: 545mg
- Fiber: 18g
- Protein: 18g
- 1 15-ounce can black beans
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (use the good stuff!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- Rinse black beans thoroughly in cool water and drain well. In a large bowl, combine beans and corn. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, olive oil, salt, maple syrup, curry powder, pepper, cumin turmeric.
- Pour spice and vinegar mixture into beans and corn, stirring well. Let sit 3-4 hours. Serve at room temperature, sprinkled with parsley.