– At a great Bay Area Indian cooking class, we made an excellent chickpea spinach curry recipe –
A few weeks ago, some friends and I took an Indian cooking class with a local Bay Area teacher, Rashmi Saini. Rashmi was a wonderful instructor, and we spent the afternoon chopping, stirring, and cooking while enveloped in the pungent aromas of cumin, coriander, and asafoetida. Dinner was a colorful chickpea dish called chana, or a chickpea spinach curry recipe. Not only was it deliciously filling, but it was vegan and gluten free, too! Hallelujah.
I took a series of photos to document the experience, which you’ll find below the recipe. I highly recommend that you look in your area for an Indian cooking class – such a fun way to spend the day!
- One 15-ounce can of chickpeas
- 3 cups chopped spinach
- 2 whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 to 2 whole jalepeño peppers, deseeded and chopped
- One 1 1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons yellow curry powder, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse well in a colander. Drain of all water and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Lower heat to medium-low and add spinach. Stir well and simmer for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a blender or food processor, blend boiled spinach, tomatoes, jalepeño peppers, and ginger until smooth.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook just until they begin to turn brown, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle in curry powder. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add chickpeas and salt, mashing them lightly with a spatula or potato masher so they cook easily.
- Pour in spinach puree and 1 cup water, stirring well to combine. Allow the mixture to cook for 5 more minutes. Add red pepper flakes or more salt, if desired. Serve immediately.
This content was originally posted on FearlessFresh.com.