I’m really, really sad that this summer is almost over. Thankfully, here in the Bay Area we get what’s called Indian Summer – an extra month of summer heat – due to the fact that our summers usually start a month later than everyone else’s.
You don’t believe me? I swear, I’m telling the truth. While Seattle was having its record-breaking heat wave a few months ago, San Francisco spent all of June and half of July in a cold, cloudy glum-fest. We’re talking weather overcast to the point that my tomato plants turned brown and died. The misty grayness nearly had me hanging from the rafters.
Feh, I say! Give me my hot summer nights!
So to celebrate this gorgeous warm weather that’s finally settled into the City by the Bay, I’ve been making summer cocktail recipes. Monday I gave you the recipe for Blood Orange Margaritas, a nectarous (yes, I just used that word) beverage that’s perfect for long weekends such as the one coming up.
Today you get another in a series of lovely drink recipes: the R&R. Made with your best bourbon, this is meant to be one classy cocktail. Even those not indoctrinated into the School of Brown Liquors will appreciate this iced tea with a dark, caramely twist. If you like it less sweet, feel free to turn down the simple syrup a notch – but you’ll probably dig the sugar shot as a followup to the black tea bitterness. Just take it step by step and taste as you go.
This recipe (as well as the blood orange margarita) can be found in Mix Shake Stir, a book that I reviewed a few weeks ago. Do you have this book yet? Why not???
- 16 raspberries
- 10 drops rose water
- 1 1/2 cups bourbon sweet tea (see below)
- Fill 2 highball glasses with ice.
- Thread three of the raspberries onto 2 separate small skewers and set aside.
- Add the remaining berries to a cocktail shaker, add rosewater, and muddle with the raspberries.
- Add ice and bourbon sweet tea to shaker and shake vigorously.
- Strain into glasses and garnish each with berries on skewer.
- Serves: 8
- Serving size: 5 1/2 ounces
- Calories: 143
- Carbohydrates: trace
- Sodium: 3mg
- Fiber: trace
- Protein: 1g
- 3 cups brewed black tea, chilled
- 2 cups bourbon, preferably Makers Mark
- 1/2 cup simple syrup
- In a pitcher, combine tea, bourbon and simple syrup. Stir to mix well.
- Will keep in the refrigerator, covered, for up to three days.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 3 ounces
- Calories: 194
- Carbohydrates: 50g
- Sodium: 2mg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine sugar and water and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Pour into a glass jar and cover, refrigerating until needed.